Affiliate Lesson Plans
Suggested Lesson Plan by the Executive Board of the Biology Teachers Association of NJ
- Variable expressivity
- Competitive Inhibition
Science as a Process of Discovery
- Clinical Trials and Testing
- Profit vs People (Orphan Drugs)
- Grant Financing
- Constraints of Researchers (stringent requirements for Human Testing)
- Family Advocacy
- Paradigms in Medicine
- How the layperson can use Science to investigation family medical dilemma
- How to deal with conceptual conundrums via analogy
- Lipid (differentiation between saturated and unsaturated fatty acids)
- Nucleic Acids
Eleven Potential Questions
- Structure and function of the neuron
- What are the rules by which ALD researchers must work when they run clinical trials?
- What risks are run by researchers who try to run studies knowing that the molecules under question may be toxic?
- Is every ALD child capable of profiting by using Lorenzo’s Oil?
- How can you figure out who will profit?
- What is the difference between a cure and a therapy? Does the oil reverse the symptoms of the disorder or halt its progress?
- What is the current state of the research on ADL?
- With the use of Lorenzo’s Oil ameliorating symptoms are any ADL males reaching reproductive age? What is their responsibility to future generations in respect to producing offspring.
- Lorenzo’s mother and aunt are carriers of the disorder with elevated levels of long chain fatty acids in their blood, how come they don’t have symptoms?
- Knowing what we know now about how molecules form, if Lorenzo’s oil works on a specific enzyme, how come we can’t design a drug that specifically fits into the active site of that enzyme?
- How has the Human Genome Project affected our knowledge of the ALD gene?
- If the therapy reverses the symptoms, how does this fit with the notion that nerves do not regenerate?
Traditional Lesson Plan
Patty Sidelsky (BTANJ Executive Board Biology, Teacher Cherokee High School )
The Bioinformatics of ALD Lesson Plan
Rob Richard(BTANJ Executive Board, Science Supervisor West Windsor-Plainsboro High School )